There are many ways to worship God through creative gifts. Art and music are two common ways people use to engage in fellowship and glorify Him. Among the reasons that these two mediums are particularly beneficial in worship is that they are not limited by skill level, format or personal characteristics. Anyone of any age and from any background can use their creative gifts to honor God.
Psalms 100:2 says "Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs." Connecting with God through music may manifest in any form, from participating in group worship experiences like a choir to playing a hymn on an instrument or singing favorite praise songs in your assisted living apartment.
Numerous passages in the Bible underscore the extent to which musical worship pleases the Lord. After all, the very definition of a "psalm" is a sacred hymn or poem. In this regard, there is an entire book of the Bible dedicated to the creative arts in worshipping the Most High. James 5:13 notes, "Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise."
There are many options to consider when it comes to connecting with God through music, including:
• Joining a choir: You can opt to sing with a church choir or community Christian group that may visit various places sharing the Word of God through song. You don't have to be the best singer in the world to worship and offer praise to God through a choir. A willing and open heart and a desire for fellowship is generally enough.
• Learning to play a hymn on an instrument: If you play an instrument, consider learning to play your favorite hymns. Even if you only ever play in the comfort of your own living space or in the common areas of your assisted living community, God is ever-present and will hear your offerings of praise.
• Listening to contemporary Christian music/attend a Christian concert: One of the best things about a continuously growing Christian faith is the advent of Christian music in the secular realm. Christians no longer have to sacrifice listening to popular music because of the message. There is a huge and growing body of Christian music that mimics some of the sounds of popular music but with a Christian message in the lyrics. This is yet another way to express yourself via musical worship.
While music is indeed a form of art, there are various other ways to worship through expressive means of artistic creation. The Bible begins with a declaration of creative expression as Genesis 1:1 says: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." This is a designation of God as an artist — the ultimate artist.
Exodus 35:35 notes "He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver — by any sort of workman or skilled designer." This is yet another testament to the fact that the Lord has always bestowed upon portions of His flock artistic skill to use in their worship of Him.
Options to consider in using art for worship purposes include:
• Creating performance art to educate and entertain: Few things bring the Word to life quite like performance art. From theatre to dance, performance arts provide Christians with ways in which to use their creative talents for visual performances that exemplify the Word of God. Seniors can put on skits for each other, speak poems or use other talents to fellowship and worship God together.
• Manifesting art pieces for sacred decor: One of the ways that art can be used in worship is through the creation of pieces to adorn sacred spaces. From stained glass (a historical element of the church) to paintings and other wares, art expressly created for sacred spaces is yet another way to honor the gifts God has provided to you. But you don't have to make something to go in a sanctuary to honor God with your creativity. You could make something for a friend or hang a painting, drawing or piece of faith-based cross-stitch in your own home or assisted living apartment.
• Using art for service: One of the most significant ways that you can honor God through the gifts He has given to you is by using your talents for service. If you know how to sew or knit, use your talent to honor Him and serve others. You might knit blankets for newborn babies, stitching onto them an appropriate scripture, or crochet blankets for those less fortunate in the name of the Lord. Serving the Lord is about a life of service to your fellow humans, so what better way to make use of your artistic talent than through helping others?