Our residents have a lot of love in their hearts. Nourishing that love is just one of many reasons we’re devoted to promoting healthy lifestyle choices. Our culinary teams are committed to building delicious, heart-healthy meals that feed the mind and body and inspire joy in our residents.
In the coming weeks, each of our communities is delighting our residents and their loved ones with a “Caring is a Work of Heart” culinary event. As a tasty teaser, we invite you to enjoy this scrumptious Tomato, Spinach and Feta Heart-Healthy “Fit”tata recipe, brought to you by Chef Alex Veliz, who serves as the Culinary Services Director for our Autumn View Gardens community in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
“I love cooking for and working with Autumn View Gardens residents and their families,” he explains. “It’s like having 75 grandparents. Every day brings me joy and fulfills a purpose in my life. God has given me the ability to prepare and share my recipes with the community on a daily basis, and I am grateful to serve our residents and to put a smile on their faces with a great meal and dessert. Makes my day worthwhile every single time!”
Made with half the egg yolks of traditional frittata recipes, Alex’s recipe is heart-healthy and packs a heavy punch of necessary vitamins. You will find Alex’s full Tomato, Spinach and Feta Heart “Fit”tata recipe below this demonstration video:
BSLC - Tomato, Spinach and Feta "Fit"tata Recipe from Bethesda Senior Living on Vimeo.
Recipe: Tomato, Spinach and Feta Heart Healthy-Healthy “Fit”tata
Ingredients, measurements, and cooking instructions:
- 10 large egg whites
- 5 large egg yolks
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped baby spinach (for Popeye-like strength!)
- 2 scallions, whites and greens separated, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes (about 2 cups diced)
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped dill weed
- 2 tbsp. of feta
- Place a rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- Beat egg whites and yolks in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add spinach and scallion whites and cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Pour eggs over spinach mixture, shaking pan to evenly distribute, and cook until edges and bottom are just set, about 30 seconds.
- Top with scallion greens and dill, then tomatoes and feta. Season lightly with salt and pepper and transfer skillet to oven.
- Broil until frittata is golden brown and center is set, about 4 minutes.
Variations of this recipe can be used to make omelets or quiches. Bon appetite!
Posted on Mon, January 16, 2017
by Kevin P